Friday 22 May 2009

Johnny's Snack Bar

Where: Johnny's Snack Bar, 6204 Almon St, Halifax.
When: Friday, May 22nd, 2009.
What: Two piece fish and chips, I totally don't remember how much, but it was cheap.

Another local favourite in Halifax is Johnny's Snack Bar, located across the Forum on Almon Street. I've been there a few times before but hadn't had a chance to try the fish and chips. It's a cosy little spot near the post office, in an old house. You can enjoy your meal at a booth, or sit at the counter.

There is one menu per table, with the day's specials on a handwritten note attached to the menu. I was meeting a friend for lunch, and ordered a milkshake while I waited (it was really hot out that day). The milkshake was delicious!

I ordered a two piece fish and chips, and unfortunately I can't remember how much it was. It was cheap though. Probably around $6.

Johnny's Snack Bar

The fries appear to be of the frozen variety. Maybe it's just me, but I often find frozen fries dry and flavourless (I guess that's what ketchup is for). The fish as bland as well. Too thick batter and kind of soggy. We weren't given any ketchup or vinegar on the table, just a handful of ketchup packets.

I give Johnny's Snack Bar 2 little fishies out of 5.

No comments: