Thursday 2 August 2012

Long John Silver's

Where: Long John Silver's, Lee's Summit, MO
When: August 1st, 2012
What: super sampler, 8-piece panko shrimp platter & crab cakes, $20.65 for everything including tax

I know that this isn't an official fish & chip shop but they sell fried fish and fries.

I was rather impressed by the quality of their food for a fast food chain. And look! No after food tummy ache!

Untitled

I got a Super Sampler ($7.99), an 8-piece panko shrimp platter ($7.99) and 2 crab cakes ($1.58). The Super Sampler includes a piece of chicken, a piece of fish, 3 butterfly shrimps, popcorn shrimps, hush puppies, coleslaw and fries. The 8-piece panko shrimp platter includes 8 pieces of panko breaded shrimp, a piece of fish, hush puppies, coleslaw and fries.

Untitled

8-piece panko shrimp platter
Untitled

Super Sampler Platter
Untitled

Crab cakes
Untitled

The assortment of fried shrimps were rather good. I preferred the panko breaded shrimps the most. I was most impressed with their crab cakes. My previous experiences with crab cakes have been mediocre. These were probably the most tasty crab cakes. I've found other crab cakes to be under seasoned. For a fast food chain, I was rather impressed to find real pieces of crab meat in them.

The fish wasn't as crunchy as the other items in the platters. I think it has to do with the fact that I got it all to go and they got less crunchy in transit. The fish was labelled as "whitefish". It was bland, tasteless fast food chain fish. Probably frozen.

As you can see, the fries are pretty run of the mill fast food chain fries. I had 1 and decided that they were best left alone.

Untitled

I didn't think their tartar sauce was very good but better than ones I've had before. The mayo is not as sweet. The PC Condiments tartar sauce has a Miracle Whip sort of taste. This stuff tasted more like Hellman's. There's a little bitterness to the tartar sauce.

Long John Silver's was surprisingly good for a fast food chain and if I couldn't locate a fish & chips shop, I'd definitely get my fish fix here rather than the fish offered at other fast food chains. It might be one up from a Filet-O-Fish but it's still miles away from a mom and pop fish & chips shop.

I give Long John Silver's a 2 out of 5 wee fishies.

No comments: