Saturday 12 March 2011

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House

Where: Fredie's Fantastic Fish House, 8 Oland Crescent, Halifax, NS
When: Monday, September 6, 2010
What: Two piece fish and chips, $8.65+tax

On Labour Day, just shortly after Hurricane Earl rolled through, I got together with my friend Tina for a trip out to Bayers Lake to eat some fish and chips at Fredie's Fantastic Fish House. This is another place people have recommended to me, and we were thankful it was open on the Labour Day holiday.

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House

I think maybe we were the only customers in there so it was not a long wait to order. I can imagine during the weekday it's a busy spot with the lunch crowd. The staff were really relaxed and friendly. Since it was a really nice day out, we sat outside and our server would bring out order out. The view in Bayers Lake Industrial Park is not pretty, but at least we got to enjoy the fresh air, sun, and the quiet of a holiday. We each ordered a two piece fish and chips, and my friend got her fries as a poutine.

While waiting for our food outside, we could smell the earthy scent of fresh potatoes. Is that not the best sign that the fries were going to be awesome or what? At our table we had a caddy with malt and white vinegar, plus ketchup. We were also given packets of Kraft tartar sauce (which I'm not really a fan of).

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House

Holy cow was this ever good! I loved the thick, hand cut fries. The batter on the fish was perfect. Light and crisp without any of that gooey inside you sometimes get, plus the fillets were fresh and flaky. I didn't try any of my friend's poutine but she says that Fredie's is her favourite fish and chips place in the city now.

For service, friendliness, good food and price, you would be hard pressed to find a better deal than Fredie's Fantastic Fish House. If you work or shop in Bayers Lake or just want some good fish and chips, it's definitely worth the trip out.

I give Fredie's Fantastic Fish House 5 little fishies out of 5.

A special thanks to my friend Tina for the great photos.

No comments: